Drill Press Storage Cart

As my son gets older, and my day job gets more demanding, I am finding less time to be in the wood shop.  So when I want to work a project, I need to be able to pick up where I left off right away.

And since I have a small shop, I need to be extremely efficient.  This led to an idea I always had, but needed more than ever right now.  I am creating a plan to make each station accessible and portable.  First up, the Drill Press!

During some research, I saw a couple pictures and thought I could do a custom project for myself.  I came up with a sleek and minimal footprint plan that allows me to use the drill press wherever/whenever I need to without much effort.  In addition, it helped me work on my drawer build.

For my Ryobi Drill press, I used leftover 1/2″ plywood and 2″ x 6″ pine boards to build the shell.  The dimensions of the shell is 33″ in Height, by 10″ in Width, and 13 1/2″ in depth.  This fits my base perfectly.  With the 3″ wheels with locks from Home Depot, the height of the cart is 36″.

To make the shell, I ripped down the pine boards to remove the beveled edges and glued them up overnight (see left photo). Once left to dry overnight, I used my planer to smooth both sides.

Next, I cut my 1/2″ plywood into three pieces for the left, right, and back.  I used kregjig tool to create pocket holes and attach the plywood to the top and bottom pieces.  I noticed quickly that I couldn’t put the boards flush with the end of the pine as when I screwed in the pocket hole screws, they came out the side of the pine so I move the plywood a quarter of an inch in to get a secure attachment to the pine.  See pictures below for the shell.

It was now to build the drawers.  I initially wanted 5 drawers but decided on 4 for extra height on the bottom which in the end, turned out to be the right choice.  The top two drawers were 5″ in height.  The bottom two drawers were 8″ in height. Remember, I had to leave gaps to be able to remove drawers if needed in the future.  Once I cut all the pieces, I used a thin piece of Hardboard Tempered (Common: 1/8 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft.; Actual: 0.125 in. x 23.75 in. x 47.75 in.).  I also made a small groove in each board so the drawer could have a a secure bottom, see below before assembled.

Once the drawers were assembled, I started to attach the hinges and then install them to the shell.  The drawer hinges I settled on were the Liberty 12 in. Side Mount Drawer Slide (1-Pair) but wished I used the full extension versions.  These worked just fine and you can’t beat the price of $4.99 per pack.   I left gaps between the drawers to remove each when desired, see below to the left:

Since the drawers were flush with the front of the plywood (1/2″ indented from the front) which was indented to serve for my drawer fronts.  I used one piece of plywood with a nice grain on it, staple gunned it to the boards, and then used my circular saw to cut each drawer, see photo below to the right.

 

 

 

 

After I putty’d up the holes made from the staple gun, and sanded, it was time to stain, I used minwax english chestnut and followed it up with a water based poly (3-4 coats).

After I left to dry for 24 hours, I attached the wheels and then the Drill Press itself to the top of the Cart with 1/2″ x 4″ bolts.  I felt like I needed a sturdy bolt with washers rather than some larger screws directly into the wood.  The bolts were pre drilled into the top of the cart and it made me feel safer when I have to move the cart around the work shop. Below is the picture of the spot I chose for the time being, but can easily move it wherever now that it’s portable.  

I still need to clean the rest of my shop up and start my next project, but for now, I am happy.  Hope you enjoyed this post, please leave any comments or contact me with any questions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *